SECRET PAL 16 QUESTIONNAIRE
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely not like? Love Malabrigo Silky Merino, Madeline Tosh anything, Dream in Color, Lornas Laces, many more….I don’t really like cotton s like Peaches and Cream or some acrylics. I don’t like rough wool or acrylic.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? For my circs I have a Namaste Circ bag, for straights I have an old vintage vase, for sock needles, well, I just have them in a plastic bag.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I first learned in Junior Girl Scouts, and made a pair of mittens with my troop. Didn’t knit for a very long time, then relearned as an adult about5 years ago while volunteering at the Senior Center. The rest is self-taught from books or Knittinghelp.com, or You Tube videos. I am an intermediate knitter.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yes, Amazon.com, the loopyewe.com, eastsleepknit.com, woolgirl.com
5. What’s your favorite scent? 1. Cinnamon apple harvest type scents, pine, also some fresher scents. Like jasmine too, and sometimes patchouli
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Oh my yes. Favorite candy? See’s chocolates….also Strawberry Twizzlers, Snickers with almonds, chocolate covered espresso beans, chocolate covered dried cherries…Haribo Gummy Bears… Also love any kind of almonds…
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? I sew – aprons, curtains, pj’s, pillows, and I make dolls, folk art dolls. I embroider/cross-stitch, paint, make altered objects and use mixed media (all kinds of vintage sewing trims, old buttons, cool old and odd stuff)
Do you spin? No, I don’t spin … (yet! lol)
8. What kind of music do you like? I love Bruno Mars!! Also Mike Posner, Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, Corinne Bailey Rae, Michael Buble, Bryan McKnight, Brian Culbertson, Diana Krall, Boney James, Dido, Seal, to name a few. Pop and smooth or contemporary jazz. Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? Yes (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? I love almost all colors except neon. I like deep rich colors, purple, reds, blue, greens, including sage but not pea green. Any colors you just can’t stand? Neon, light earthy colors that look non-descript.
10. What is your family situation? Married for almost 27 years (March 17, 1984) have a daughter almost 25 who lives and works in Houston Texas, a son, 23, who lives and works in West Lafayette Indiana, and a son, 11 years old, in 5th grade. Do you have any pets? Yes, Maya, an 8 year old border collie/English Setter mix from the pound, Lalo, almost 4 year old AKC black and white English springer spaniel, and 7 year old Frankie, domestic brown tabby.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Love mittens and ponchos! Once we move to Connecticut in the spring, I am sure I will wear hats as well. Love hand knit socks.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Socks! Also lap blankets, some sweaters, hats
13. What are you knitting right now? Finishing a Manos de Uruguay Throw for my oldest son…
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I use both. Love circs and straight sock needles. Sock: bamboo or some type of wood. Circs: I like Addi Turbos or Crystal Palace or a real treat is Lantern Moon…
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yes and yes!
17. How old is your oldest UFO? A year or a little more-it’s the Manos throw I am working on...
18. What is your favorite holiday? My favorite holiday is Christmas not only because we celebrate Jesus’ birth, but it is festive and I love to have family come home and gather, and I love to cook and bake and feed people!! What winter holiday do you observe? Christmas
19. Is there anything that you collect? Vintage sewing trims and unusual buttons and trims, papers, and cool stamps like from stampington.com.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? At this time, I can’t think of any but I will. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? none -I love a magazine called “Where Women Create” by stampington.com, and I LOVE almost all of their magazines. I just got the most recent issue of WWC for Christmas!! Regarding Knitting magazines, I like Knitscene, Interweave Knits and Vogue Knitting and as well.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn? More intarsia, I suppose.
22. Are you a sock knitter? YES! What are your foot measurements? I wear size 7 to 7 1/2 shoe, wide feet
23. When is your birthday? November 27
24. Are you on Ravelry? Yes! If so, what’s your ID? MariaE